31.12.11

We Showed Class. And We Were Contenders.

So here we go, the last blog of the year. Last December 31st I posted a New Year scene from a film, and I like the idea of simply reminding ourselves of a touching scene on this, the last day of the year, and so I found another one of those scenes. Yes, this one will make me cry, under the right circumstances.

I've already made many plans for next year. I'm gonna try to get a few more actual articles on the blog. There's been too many Top 10 lists and plain reviews this year, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, without further ado....

CUT TO:

A scene from Dirty Dancing (1987)

Johnny is alone in his room, the record player is playing a gentle song. There's a knock on the door. It's Baby.


Baby: Can I come in?

He let's her in without saying a word, then he notices how messy his room is.

Johnny: I got a-- I guess it's not a great room. You probably got a great room.

Baby: No this-- It's a great room!

Johnny moves over to turn off the record player.

Baby: No, leave it on.

He does.


Baby: I'm sorry about the way my father treated you.

Johnny: No. Your father was great. He was great. The way he took care of Penny, it was--

Baby: Yes, but I mean the way he was with you. It's really me it has to do with. Johnny, I came here because my father--

Johnny: No, the way he saved her-- I mean, I could never do anything like that. That was something. I mean, the reason people treat me like I'm nothing is because I am nothing.

Baby: That's not true! You, you're everything!

Johnny: You don't understand the way it is. I mean, for somebody like me. Last month I'm eating Jujubes to keep alive. This month, women are stuffing diamonds in my pockets. I'm balancing on shit as quick as that I can be down there again.

Baby: No, it's not the way it is! It doesn't have to be that way!


Johnny: I've never known anybody like you. You look at the world, you think you can make it better. Somebody's lost, you find them. Somebody's bleeding--

Baby: Yeah, I go get my daddy. That's really brave, like you said.

Johnny: That took a lot of guts to go to him! You are not scared of anything!

Baby: Me? I'm scared of EVERYTHING! I'm scared of what I saw. I'm scared of what I did, of who I am. And most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life... the way I feel when I'm with you!

They stare quietly at each other for a while. In the background the song ends, and a new one starts playing. It's "Cry to Me", by Solomon Burke.

Baby: Dance with me.

He does.


DISSOLVE TO:

FINAL THOUGHTS

That's it. 2011, we bid you farewell.

I wish a happy New Year to anyone reading this! Remember: Stay safe, stay beautiful, and I'll see you on the flip-side.

FADE OUT.

CREDITS.

No comments:

Post a Comment