31.12.10

It's the end of the year as we know it

I always get terribly nostalgic and moody around New Year's Eve. I expect this year to get worse than usual.

I was going to write a substantial blog about something important, but I just don't have the energy, so I figured instead the last post of the year should be a great scene from a great film.

This one makes me cry on a regular day, around New Year's it's almost fatal.

CUT TO:


A scene from When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Sally is alone at a party, Harry arrives out of the blue, just as the clock strikes 12.

Harry: I've been doing a lot of thinking, and the thing is, I love you.

Sally: What?!

Harry: I love you!

Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?

Harry: How about, you love me too?

Sally: How about, I'm leaving?

Harry: Doesn't what I said mean anything to you?


Sally: I'm sorry Harry, I know it's New Year's Eve, I know you're feeling lonely, but you just can't show up here, tell me you love me and expect that to make everything all right. It doesn't work this way!

Harry: Well, how does it work?

Sally: I don't know, but not this way!

Harry: How about this way? I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night.
And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.


DISSOLVE TO:

FINAL THOUGHTS

That's it for 2010.

Have a great New Year's! Stay safe, stay beautiful, and I'll be seeing you on the flipside.

FADE OUT.

CREDITS.

No comments:

Post a Comment